It often gets hard to keep up with the speed of life, but it’s always important to protect our self’s against the catastrophic. Insurance is what makes that possible. There are many different types of insurance that provide protection against several different things, however when was the last time you really took an in depth look at your insurance plans? Insurance is not a “set it and forget it” type of product. It is very important to make changes to your protection as your life changes. Here are 5 important life changes that you should notify your insurance agent of:
1-Marriage or Divorce
The biggest change that you can make in your life is related to your marital status. If you are getting married, it is important that you inform your insurance agent. The new member of your family should be covered in your insurance as well. If he/she does not already have an insurance you might include him/her in one of yours. Or there are chances that both of you can have a combined insurance.
On the other hand, if you are getting divorced you will need to change your insurance policy once again. You might have to deduct it, so only you will get the coverage that comes with the insurance. You might have to pay some of the moves to your spouse. There might be an option in which only you can get the whole coverage that you want.
2-Moving into a new home
Moving into a new house can be fun and exciting. However, you have to assure that your new house and belonging have to proper insurance. It will allow you to get the coverage for damage if anything happens to the property. When you are moving to a new place you might have to change the information mentioned on the insurance policy like address and more.
- You might need to upgrade the policy according to the size of the new house, to assure that it is properly covered
- There are some parts of the new house that might not be covered by your existing insurance policy, you will need an upgrade for the process
- You might have to change your insurance company considering the fact that the company you are already working with does not provide any coverage in the area you are moving to
- If you are buying a new house, you will need homeowner insurance and if you are renting a place, it is important to look for renter insurance.
3-You are having a baby
If you are having a baby, it is important that you inform the insurance agent about the new member in your family. Whether it is your first or 5th child, you will need some changes in your policy with every child that you will have because that is the only way you can get the coverage that you need. In case you have life insurance, you will have to let the company know that they have to cover for more children in case of your accidental death. On the other hand, in the case of health insurance, you might have to get more services for the newborn child so that he/she can get the best care possible.
4-Starting a new job
Informing your insurance agent about starting a new job is often overlooked, however it is very important to do so for several reasons:
- If you were not provided the company’s insurance policy in your previous job but in a new job you are getting the services, it is important to reduce the coverage of your personal insurance.
- When you are starting a new job you might not get similar or more pay as compared to your previous job. In this situation, you will have to look for deductibles. If you are getting a better pay, you might consider increasing your coverage.
- If you are starting a business, it is important that you consider having the right insurance for your business, so you will get the required coverage in case of loss.
5-Drivers in your house
Once your kids become driving age you will need to notify your insurance agent so that your auto insurance coverage can be changed to make sure that they have the proper coverage. Also when your child is no longer in school and is moving out, you need to have them removed from your coverage.